Saturday, August 10, 2013

Prayer Changes Things

 

Prayer Changes Things


And the LORD listened to Hezekiah and healed the people. 2 Chronicles 30:20

Thus Hezekiah did throughout all Judah, and he did what was good and right and true before the LORD his God.  And in every work that he began in the service of the house of God, in the law and in the commandment, to seek his God, he did it with all his heart. So he prospered. 2 Chronicles 31:20-22

The Word of God is a testimony to the fact that the fervent effectual prayer of a righteous man changes things and this is quite easily demonstrated in the life of king Hezekiah who did what was good and right and true before the LORD his God.  The bible records about Hezekiah what it doesn’t say about many other kings in Israel and Judea:

Now it came to pass in the third year of Hoshea the son of Elah, king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz, king of Judah, began to reign.  He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Abi the daughter of Zechariah.  And he did what was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his father David had done. He removed the high places and broke the sacred pillars, cut down the wooden image and broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made; for until those days the children of Israel burned incense to it, and called it Nehushtan.  He trusted in the LORD God of Israel, so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor who were before him.  For he held fast to the LORD; he did not depart from following Him, but kept His commandments, which the LORD had commanded Moses.

 The LORD was with him; he prospered wherever he went. And he rebelled against the king of Assyria and did not serve him.  He subdued the Philistines, as far as Gaza and its territory, from watchtower to fortified city. 2 Kings 18:4-8

Yes, those who trust in and hold fast to the Lord, do not depart from following Him, but keep His commandments shall prosper in whatever they do! While the others shall not such as king Hoshea of Israel  who didn’t obey the voice of the LORD his God, but transgressed His covenant and all that Moses the servant of the LORD had commanded; and he would neither hear nor do them! Yes.  Yes, God’s word is true:

Now it came to pass in the fourth year of King Hezekiah, which was the seventh year of Hoshea the son of Elah, king of Israel, that Shalmaneser king of Assyria came up against Samaria and besieged it.  And at the end of three years they took it. In the sixth year of Hezekiah, that is, the ninth year of Hoshea king of Israel, Samaria was taken.

Then the king of Assyria carried Israel away captive to Assyria, and put them in Halah and by the Habor, the River of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes,  because they did not obey the voice of the LORD their God, but transgressed His covenant and all that Moses the servant of the LORD had commanded; and they would neither hear nor do them. And in the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah, Sennacherib king of Assyria came up against all the fortified cities of Judah and took them. 2 Kings 18:9-13

Hezekiah was a righteous man of faith who trusted in the Lord, and walked in His ways and commandments. When the enemy encamped against Judah Hezekiah told the people, "Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid nor dismayed before the king of Assyria, nor before all the multitude that is with him; for there are more with us than with him.  "With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God, to help us and to fight our battles." He made a confession of faith and the Lord who is God alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth and made heaven and earth, fought for him and gave him the victory. The bible records:

After these deeds of faithfulness, Sennacherib king of Assyria came and entered Judah; he encamped against the fortified cities, thinking to win them over to himself.  And when Hezekiah saw that Sennacherib had come, and that his purpose was to make war against Jerusalem,  he consulted with his leaders and commanders to stop the water from the springs which were outside the city; and they helped him.  Thus many people gathered together who stopped all the springs and the brook that ran through the land, saying, "Why should the kings of Assyria come and find much water?"  And he strengthened himself, built up all the wall that was broken, raised it up to the towers, and built another wall outside; also he repaired the Millo in the City of David, and made weapons and shields in abundance.  Then he set military captains over the people, gathered them together to him in the open square of the city gate, and gave them encouragement, saying, "Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid nor dismayed before the king of Assyria, nor before all the multitude that is with him; for there are more with us than with him.  "With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the LORD our God, to help us and to fight our battles." And the people were strengthened by the words of Hezekiah king of Judah. 2 Chronicles 32:1-8

Now because of this King Hezekiah and the prophet Isaiah, the son of Amoz, prayed and cried out to heaven.  Then the LORD sent an angel who cut down every mighty man of valor, leader, and captain in the camp of the king of Assyria. So he returned shamefaced to his own land. And when he had gone into the temple of his god, some of his own offspring struck him down with the sword there.  Thus the LORD saved Hezekiah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem from the hand of Sennacherib the king of Assyria, and from the hand of all others, and guided them on every side. 2 Chronicles 32:20-22

Yes, on a certain night that the angel of the LORD went out, and killed in the camp of the Assyrians one hundred and eighty-five thousand; and when people arose early in the morning, there were the corpses-all dead. As a result king Sennacherib king of Assyria departed and went away, and returned home where his sons struck him down with the sword. So king Hezekaih prospered and lived in safety. When king Hezekiah become sick and was about to die the Lord He humbled himself and cried to God and the Lord  heard his prayer and healed him:

In those days Hezekiah was sick and near death, and he prayed to the LORD; and He spoke to him and gave him a sign.  But Hezekiah did not repay according to the favor shown him, for his heart was lifted up; therefore wrath was looming over him and over Judah and Jerusalem.  Then Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the LORD did not come upon them in the days of Hezekiah.   Hezekiah had very great riches and honor. And he made himself treasuries for silver, for gold, for precious stones, for spices, for shields, and for all kinds of desirable items;  storehouses for the harvest of grain, wine, and oil; and stalls for all kinds of livestock, and folds for flocks.  Moreover he provided cities for himself, and possessions of flocks and herds in abundance; for God had given him very much property. 2 Chronicles 32:25-29

In those days Hezekiah was sick and near death. And Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz, went to him and said to him, "Thus says the LORD: 'Set your house in order, for you shall die, and not live.' "

Then he turned his face toward the wall, and prayed to the LORD, saying,  "Remember now, O LORD, I pray, how I have walked before You in truth and with a loyal heart, and have done what was good in Your sight." And Hezekiah wept bitterly.

And it happened, before Isaiah had gone out into the middle court, that the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "Return and tell Hezekiah the leader of My people, 'Thus says the LORD, the God of David your father: "I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will heal you. On the third day you shall go up to the house of the LORD.  "And I will add to your days fifteen years. I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for My own sake, and for the sake of My servant David." ' "

Then Isaiah said, "Take a lump of figs." So they took and laid it on the boil, and he recovered.

And Hezekiah said to Isaiah, "What is the sign that the LORD will heal me, and that I shall go up to the house of the LORD the third day?"

Then Isaiah said, "This is the sign to you from the LORD, that the LORD will do the thing which He has spoken: shall the shadow go forward ten degrees or go backward ten degrees?"

And Hezekiah answered, "It is an easy thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees; no, but let the shadow go backward ten degrees."

So Isaiah the prophet cried out to the LORD, and He brought the shadow ten degrees backward, by which it had gone down on the sundial of Ahaz. Isaiah 20:1-11

It pays to be righteous and blameless because God hears and answers the prayers of the righteous and saves them from their enemies. His word is true:

I will love You, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised;  So shall I be saved from my enemies.

The pangs of death surrounded me, And the floods of ungodliness made me afraid. The sorrows of Sheol surrounded me; The snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, And my cry came before Him, even to His ears. Then the earth shook and trembled; The foundations of the hills also quaked and were shaken, Because He was angry. Smoke went up from His nostrils, And devouring fire from His mouth; Coals were kindled by it. He bowed the heavens also, and came down With darkness under His feet.  And He rode upon a cherub, and flew; He flew upon the wings of the wind. He made darkness His secret place; His canopy around Him was dark waters And thick clouds of the skies.  From the brightness before Him, His thick clouds passed with hailstones and coals of fire.  The LORD thundered from heaven, And the Most High uttered His voice, Hailstones and coals of fire.  He sent out His arrows and scattered the foe, Lightnings in abundance, and He vanquished them. Then the channels of the sea were seen, The foundations of the world were uncovered At Your rebuke, O LORD, At the blast of the breath of Your nostrils.  He sent from above, He took me; He drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, From those who hated me, For they were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, But the LORD was my support.  He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me. The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; According to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me. For I have kept the ways of the LORD, And have not wickedly departed from my God. For all His judgments were before me, And I did not put away His statutes from me. I was also blameless before Him, And I kept myself from my iniquity.  Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness,  According to the cleanness of my hands in His sight. Psalm 18:1-24

 
WALTER KAMBULOW
FACEBOOK: WALT KAM

Gordon Williams  http://gordwilliams.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment